Tuesday, May 3, 2011

GRIEVING

Have you missed my posts? I keep checking in case anyone out there has a comment or question. Don't be shy. I'd love to hear any comments or questions.

I'm not sure what to post next so I'll share what has helped me in my grieving process following the death of my husband last July. Having a nursing background I thought I knew what to expect in grieving, according to the various phases or steps I had learned. Instead, I found a focus that enabled me to move through this process more easily.

Right from the start, I experienced the benefit of focusing on and being fully in the present moment. In a meditation led by my minister at church the day after the memorial service for my husband, I began to sob deeply as soon as the music started. The minister guided me and the rest of the congregation in focusing on each breath, in and out. I was amazed at how readily I could go to and experience that place of inner peace and safety. I have continued to remind myself to do this whenever I am tempted to feel sorry for myself or get into my story, such as I am now alone; he left me; and so on. I am able to let go of any stories and know that in this moment I am safe, loved and at peace.

There are times when I remember or see something that reminds me of my loss. That is natural. I observe and acknowledge it and any related feelings. Then I let it go, returning to my present moment experience.

This technique is helpful in many circumstances other than grief. See where you can use it. For further reading on this subject, I refer you to Eckhart Tolle's books The Power of Now and A New Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment