Monday, March 29, 2010

OVERWHELM

It is so easy to get overwhelmed with the fast pace and multiple roles, expectations, and pressures of modern busy lifestyles. From overwhelm we may move into depression or non-action.

I find the single best technique for dealing with overwhelm is to break down a task into smaller achievable steps. Limit your focus to a manageable piece of the whole picture. One thing that frequently caused me to feel overwhelmed was the job of cleaning out my garage or all the stuff that accumulated and ended up in our study. The way I get through this kind of task is to take one box or one drawer at a time and clean it out. Cleaning out my desk drawer at work used to give me a boost of energy to go on to other tasks. A similar boost can also come from crossing tasks accomplished off of your "to do" list. While working on the small achievable tasks be careful not to get distracted by the larger task, which can take you right back to the feeling of overwhelm. Just like the 12-step programs with their emphasis on taking one day, hour, or even minute at a time, focus on the small immediate task at hand.

Another approach that can help significantly lift the feeling of overwhelm is to reduce clutter and maintain order and organization in your surroundings. If you need help to do this, enlist a friend's support or consider hiring someone who does this for a living. I have done both of these at various times in my life.

Examining priorities and lifestyle to identify areas that you can simplify or slow down the pace is also helpful in reducing overwhelm. I remember at one stage in my life repeatedly telling my husband "I have a million and one things to do". What I eventually realized was that my life was running me rather than me running and controlling my life. I learned to say "no" to nonessential tasks and requests.

Possibly my most favorite technique was to get up early, quiet my mind using music and brief meditation and then imagine the day's events going the way I would like them to go. It took me about a year to decide it was worth getting up early to do this, but I discovered this process allowed me to center myself, start the day off with confidence, and meet the challenges of the day more calmly.

No comments:

Post a Comment