Sunday, February 28, 2010

DEALING WITH TRAFFIC

For many years I had worked in a location that allowed me to avoid the busy commute and rush hour traffic by taking side streets. Lo and behold our company was bought and resulted in a move. Bam! There I was stuck in the commute I had tried to avoid. After several very stressful commutes and a near accident, I decided I needed to find a way to deal with such stress.

I believe that the key to dealing with traffic and minimizing related stress comes down to attitude. I decided to replace my dread of the commute with adopting a polite, courteous approach with strong defensive strategies. If someone cut me off or showed some form of anger toward me, I would let it happen and say a blessing to myself wishing the other person well and that they would get safely to their destination without harming anyone else. At times when this might prove difficult for me, I would remind myself to take a few deep breaths and let it go.

Also, I created a peaceful space in my car by turning off the radio with its constant or intermittent conversation, commercials, or annoying reminders from some commentator. Instead I played relaxing but uplifting music on my favorite CD's. In selecting such CD's you must be careful to choose ones that aren't too relaxing or that you use to really relax at other times as these might trigger an undesired response and you might find yourself too relaxed and sleepy.

Other strategies might include recognizing situations that are beyond your control (being stuck in a traffic jam) and allowing extra time to get ready and to get to your destination during rush hour. Running late is a major source of stress during the commute.

Essentially then, dealing with traffic issues involves a change in perspective, attitude, and approach. You may find other things that work for you. If so, please send me a comment to that effect. One definite thing to avoid while driving is multi-tasking. This involves using a cell phone for calls, texting and the like, or activities like eating, shaving, putting on make-up or reading (map or book). For your own safety and that of others, BE FULLY PRESENT TO YOUR DRIVING.

No comments:

Post a Comment